Behind the kitchen doors, the history of the Beach House
The original Beach House Restaurant was founded by Gale Pike in 1968, in Laguna Beach in the former home of Old Hollywood character actor, Slim Summerville. The house was built in the 1920’s and the restaurant has retained much of its character and charm. Much of the original woodwork, fixtures and wrought iron remain to this day.
Slim starred in such films as “All Quiet on the Western Front” and “Tobacco Road” and his star is seen today on the Hollywood Boulevard Walk of Fame.There are even rumors of Slim’s ghost contentedly wandering through the restaurant late at night.
In 1993 we opened in North San Diego County. The Beach House in Cardiff by the Sea was originally designed by renowned architect James Hubbell and reminds us of a Positano estate on the romantic Mediterranean shoreline.
This grand restaurant features our "Top of the House", an exhibition seafood grill and oyster bar with live entertainment and a fantastic happy hour, while downstairs offers our traditional lunch, dinner and weekend champagne brunch menus. Both venues offer heated patio dining directly on the Pacific Ocean surf.
The Beach House restaurants are still family-owned and operated by the Pikes.